Charged Particle Beam Optimization with Use of a Second Order Method
The problem of optimization of charged particle beam dynamics is considered. The problem is formulated as the control problem for a dynamical system ensemble with a fixed endpoint. A state of the dynamical system ensemble is described by a density of the systems in the phase space, which satisfies to the Liouville equation or to the Vlasov equation. The problem is to minimize a functional depending on terminal state of the ensemble.
It is proposed to use an algorithm based on calculation of the first and the second variations of trajectory of a dynamical system under the control function variation. If the control function is parametrized, expressions for the first and the second variations allow to find the first and the second derivatives of the functional being minimized over control parameters. Using of the second derivatives can make the optimization process sufficiently quicker, as compared with algorithm using only first derivatives.
The proposed algoritm is realized for a beam in the Radio Frequency Quadrupole (RFQ) channel, which is often used as initial part of a charged particles accelerator. The simplest problem of of optimization of longitudinal dynamics of the beam in this channel is considered. The numerical solution is finding on the base of the method of macroparticles. The comparison between the first order and the second order methods is conducted. The second order method shows sufficient increase of the rate of convergence as compared with the first order method.
About the Authors
Dmitriy A. Starikov, Postgraduate, Saint-Petersburg State University, 35, Universitetskii pr., Petergof, St.-Petersburg, 198504, Russian Federation, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Bublik B.N., Garashchenko F.G., Kirichenko Н.Ф. Strukturno-parametricheskaya optimizatsiya i ustoychivost’ dinamiki puchkov [Structural-Parametric Optimization and Stability of the Beam Dynamics]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka Publ., 1986,304 p. (in Russian)
2. Drivotin O.I. Matematicheskie osnovy teorii polya [Mathematical Basics of the Field Theory]. Saint-Petersburg, Saint-Petersburg State University Publ., 2010, 168 p. (in Russian)
3. Drivotin O.I., Ovsyannikov D.A. Solutions of the Vlasov equation for a Charged Particles Beam in Magnetic Field. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Mathematics [Izvestiya Irkutskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta. SeriyaMatematika], 2013, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 2-22. (in Russian)
4. Drivotin O.I., Starikov D.A. Application of Second Order Methods for Numerical Solution of the Dynamical System Ensemble Optimal Control Problem. Protsessy upravleniya i ustoychivost’, 2017, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 113-117. (in Russian)
5. Kapchinskiy I.M. Teoriya lineynykh rezonansnykh uskoriteley: Dinamika chastits [Theory of Linear Resonant Accelerators: Particle Dynamics]. Moscow, Energoizdat Publ., 1982, 240 p. (in Russian)
6. Ovsyannikov D.A. Matematicheskie metody upravleniya puchkami [Mathematical Methods of Beam Control]. Leningrad, Leningrad University Publ., 1980, 228 p. (in Russian)
7. Ovsyannikov D.A. Modelirovanie i optimizatsiya dinamiki puchkov zaryazhennykh chastits. [Modeling and Optimization of Charged Particles Beam Dynamics. Leningrad, Leningrad University Publ., 1990, 312 p. (in Russian)
8. Ovsyannikov D.A., Drivotin O.I. Modeling of Intensive Charged Particle Beams. Saint-Petersburg, Saint-Petersburg University Publ., 2003, 176 p. (in Russian)
9. Fedorenko R.P. Priblizhennoe reshenie zadach optimal’nogo upravleniya [Approximate Solution of Optimal Control Problems]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1978, 488 p. (in Russian)
10. Drivotin O.I. Covariant formulation of the Vlasov equation. Proc. of the 2011 Int. Particle Accelerators Conf., IPAC’2011, San-Sebastian, Spain, 2011, pp. 2277-2279. accelconf.web.cern.ch/accelconf /ipac2011/papers/wepc114.pdf
11. Drivotin O.I. Degenerate Solutions of the Vlasov Equation. Proc. of the 23rd Russian Particle Accelerators Conf., RUPAC’2012, St.-Petersburg, 2012, pp. 376–378. accelconf.web.cern.ch/accelconf /rupac2012/papers/tuppb028.pdf
12. Drivotin O.I. Covariant Description of Phase Space Distributions. Vestnik of Saint-Petersburg University. Applied mathematics. Computer science. Control processes, 2015, Issue 3, pp. 39-52. https://doi.org/10.21638/11701/spbu10.2016.304
13. Drivotin O.I., Ovsyannikov D.A. Stationary Self-Consistent Distributions for a Charged Particle Beam in the Longitudinal Magnetic Field. Physics of Particles and Nuclei, 2016, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 884-913. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1063779616050038
14. Drivotin O.I, Starikov D.A. Second Order Method for Beam Dynamics Optimization.Proc. of the 24th Russian Particle Accelerators Conf., RUPAC’2014, Obninsk, Oct. 2014. http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/AccelConf/rupac2014/papers/tupsa15.pdf
15. Drivotin O.I., Starikov D.A. Investigation of a Second Order Method of RFQ Channel Optimization. Proc. of the 25th Russian Particle Accelerators Conf., RUPAC’2016, St.-Petersburg, Nov. 2016. http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/AccelConf/rupac2016/papers/tupsa013.pdf
16. Drivotin O.I., et.al. Mathematical Models for Accelerating Structures of Safe Energetical Installation. Proc. of the 6-th Europ. Part. Accel. Conf. EPAC’98. Stockholm, Sweden, 1998.