An Algorithm for Minimization of Boolean Functions in the Class of Toffoli Reversible Logic Circuits
In this paper, the problem of Boolean function’s representation by the reversible circuits constructed of the Toffoli gates is considered. Interest in this problem is connected with actual studies of the possibility for realization of ”cold” computations. It means that when performing such computations, there is no heat dissipation.
In general, reversible circuits realize reversible functions. Therefore, Toffoli-Fredkin’s method for representation of the Boolean function by the reversible function is used.
In work, an algorithm for finding the minimal representation of the Boolean function in a class of the reversible circuits, which are constructed from Toffoli elements is described. The algorithm uses the polynomial normal forms or exclusive-or sum-ofproducts expressions (ESOPs) of the Boolean function in the operator representation and the problem of finding the minimal representation of the Boolean function in the certain class of operator bundles. The chosen class of operator bundles corresponds to a class of the extended polarized Zhegalkin polynomials, which includes a well-known class of the polarized Zhegalkin polynomials or Reed-Muller forms.
In conclusion, the computational results of the algorithm for minimizing the Boolean functions in the class of reversible circuits are given.
1. Vinokurov S.F., Kazimirov A.S. Enumeration of operator classes of Boolean functions. The Bulletin of Irkutsk state University. Series Mathematics, 2009, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 40-55. (in Russian)
2. Vinokurov S.F., Frantseva A.S. An approximate algorithm for computing the complexity of reversible functions in the basis of Toﬀoli. The Bulletin of Irkutsk state University. Series Mathematics, 2011, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 12-26. (in Russian)
3. Vinokurov S.F., Frantseva A.S. The Complexity of the Representation of Multiple-Output Boolean Functions. The Bulletin of Irkutsk state University. Series Mathematics, 2016, vol. 16, pp. 30–42. (in Russian)
4. Izbrannye voprosy teorii bulevykh funktsii [Selected problems of the theory of Boolean functions]. Edited by Vinokurov S.F., Peryazev N.A. Moscow, FIZMATLIT Publ., 2001, 192 p.
5. Irkutskii superkompiuternyi tsentr SO RAN [The Irkutsk Supercomputer Center of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Science]. Available at: http://hpc.icc.ru (date of access: 05.05.2018).
6. Vinokurov S.F., Frantseva A.S., Ryabets L.V. Programma postroeniia minimalnogo predstavleniia mnogovykhodnykh bulevykh funktsii v klasse obratimykh skhem [Program for Constructing Minimal Representations of Multiple-output Boolean Functions in The Reversible Logic Circuits]. Patent RF, no. 2017619310, 2017. (in Russian)
7. Ryabets L.V., Vinokurov S.F. Algoritm tochnoi minimizatsii bulevykh funktsii v klasse kronekerovykh form [An Algorithm of Exact Minimization of Boolean Functions in the Class of Kronecker Forms]. Algebra i teoriya modeley [Algebra and theory of models], Novosibirsk, 2003, vol. 4, pp. 148–159. (in Russian)
8. Knuth D.E. MMIXware: A RISC Computer for the Third Millennium. Springer Heidelberg New York Dordrecht London, LNCS Sublibrary: SL 2 – Programming and Software Engineering, 2003, 550 p. https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-46611-8
9. Fredkin Е., Toﬀoli T. Conservative Logic. International Journal of Theoretical Physics, 1982, vol. 21, iss. 3, pp. 219-253. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01857727
10. Toﬀoli T. Reversible Computing. Automata Languages and Programming (Series: Lecture Notes in Computer Science), 1980, vol. 85, pp. 632-644. https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-10003-2_104