Volterra Equation Based Models for Energy Storage Usage
Based on Load Forecast in EPS with Renewable Generation
High penetration of renewable energy under condition of the free electricity market leads to the need of creating new methods for maintaining balance between load and generation, in particular, energy storage usage in modern power systems. However, most of the proposed models of energy storage do not take into account some important parameters, such as the nonlinear dependence of efficiency on life time and changes in capacity over time, the distribution of load between several independent storages and others. In order to solve this problem models based on Volterra integral equations of the first kind with kernels presented in the form of discontinuous functions are proposed. Such models allows to determine the alternating power function at known values of load and generation. However, to effectively solve this problem, an accurate forecast of the electrical load is required, therefore, several forecasting models based on machine learning was exploited. Forecasting models use different kind of features such as average daily temperature, load values with time shift, moving averages and others. In the paper comparison of the forecasting results is provided, including random forest, gradient boosting over the decision trees, the support vector machine, and also multiparameter linear regression. Effectiveness of the proposed forecasting models and storage model is demonstrated on the real data of Germany power system.
Denis N. Sidorov, Dr. Sci. (Phys.–Math.), Prof., Melentiev Energy Systems Institute SB RAS, 130, Lermontov st., Irkutsk, 664033, Russian Federation; Irkutsk National Research Technical University, 83, Lermontov st., Irkutsk, 664074, Russian Federation; Irkutsk State University, 1, K. Marx st., Irkutsk, 664003, Russian Federation, e-mail: email@example.com
Aleksei V. Zhukov, Junior Researcher, Institute of Solar-Terrestrial Physics SB RAS, 126a, Lermontov st., Irkutsk, 664033, Russian Federation, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ildar R. Muftahov, Programmer, Irkutsk Computing Center of Joint Stock Company “Russian Railways”, 25, Mayakovaskii st., Irkutsk, 664005, Russian Federation; Melentiev Energy Systems Institute SB RAS, 130, Lermontov st., Irkutsk, 664033, Russian Federation, e-mail: email@example.com
Sidorov D.N., Zhukov A.V., Muftahov I.R. Volterra Equation Based Models for Energy Storage Usage Based on Load Forecast in EPS with Renewable Generation. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series Mathematics, 2018, vol. 26, pp. 76-90. (in Russian) https://doi.org/10.26516/1997-7670.2018.26.76
- Anushina E.S. Sistema kratkosrochnogo prognozirovanija jelektricheskoj nagruzki [Short-term forecasting system electrical load]. Ph.D. thesis spec. Electrotechnical complexes and systems, 2009. (in Russian)
- Karamov D.N. Matematicheskoe modelirovanie avtonomnoy sistemy elektrosnabzheniya, ispol’zuyushchey vozobnovlyaemye istochniki energii [Mathematical modeling of autonomous electricity supply power system using renewable energy sources]. Vestnik Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Irkutsk State University] , 2015, vol. 104, no. 9, pp. 133–140. (in Russian)
- Tihonov J.E. Metody prognozirovanija v uslovijah rynka [Forecasting methods in market conditions]. Nevinnomysskij tehnol. in-t (fil.) SevKavGTU, 2006. (in Russian)
- Ali Mohd H., Wu B., Dougal R.A. An overview of SMES applications in power and energy systems. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 2010, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 38–47. https://doi.org/10.1109/tste.2010.2044901
- Breiman L. Random forests. Machine learning, 2001, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 5–32.
- Di Silvestre M.L., Sanseverino E.R. Modelling energy storage systems using Fourier analysis: An application for smart grids optimal management. Applied Soft Computing, 2014, vol. 14, pp. 469–481. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2013.08.018
- Dufo-Lopez R., Lujano-Rojas J.M., Bernal-A.J. Comparison of different lead–acid battery lifetime prediction models for use in simulation of standalone photovoltaic systems. Applied Energy, 2014, vol. 115, pp. 242–253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.11.021
- Dunn B., Kamath H., Tarascon J.-M. Electrical energy storage for the grid: a battery of choices. Science, 2011, vol. 334, no. 6058, pp. 928–935. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1212741
- Dursun E., Kilic O. Comparative evaluation of different power management strategies of a stand-alone PV/Wind/PEMFC hybrid power system. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 2012, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 81–89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2011.08.025
- Drucker H., Burges C.J., Kaufman L. et al. Support vector regression machines. Advances in neural information processing systems, 1997, pp. 155–161.
- Friedman J.H. Stochastic gradient boosting. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 2002, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 367–378 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-9473(01)00065-2.
- Karellas S., Tzouganatos N. Comparison of the performance of compressedair and hydrogen energy storage systems: Karpathos island case study. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2014, vol. 29, pp. 865–882. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.07.019
- Kuster C., Rezgui Y., Mourshed M. Electrical load forecasting models: A critical systematic review. Sustainable Cities and Society, 2017, vol. 35, pp. 257–270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2017.08.009
- Makarov Y.V., Du P., Kintner-Meyer M.C.W. et al. Sizing energy storage to accommodate high penetration of variable energy resources. IEEE Transactions on sustainable Energy, 2012, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 34–40. https://doi.org/10.1109/tste.2011.2164101
- Muftahov I., Tynda A., Sidorov D. Numeric solution of Volterra integral equations of the first kind with discontinuous kernels. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 2017, vol. 313 pp. 119-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cam.2016.09.003
- Noriega J.R., Iyore O.D., Budime C. et al. Characterization system for research on energy storage capacitors. Review of Scientific Instruments, 2013, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 055109. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4804165
- Oza N.C. Online bagging and boosting. 2005 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2005, vol. 3, pp. 2340–2345. https://doi.org/10.1109/icsmc.2005.1571498
- Punys P., Baublys R., Kasiulis E. et al. Assessment of renewable electricity generation by pumped storage power plants in EU Member States. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2013, vol. 26, pp. 190–200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.05.072
- Sebastian R., Alzola R.P. Flywheel energy storage systems: Review and simulation for an isolated wind power system. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2012, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 6803–6813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.08.008
- Sidorov D.N. Volterra equations of the first kind with discontinuous kernels in the theory of evolving systems control. Studia Informatica Universalis, 2011, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 135–146.
- Sidorov D.N. Integral dynamical models: singularities, signals and control. World Scientific, 2015, 300 p. https://doi.org/10.1142/9278
- Sizikov V.S. Further development of the new version of a posteriori choosing regularization parameter in ill-posed problems. Intl. J. of Artificial Intelligence, 2015, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 184–199.
- Tsuanyo D., Azoumah Y., Aussel D., Neveu P. Modeling and optimization of batteryless hybrid PV (photovoltaic) / Diesel systems for off-grid applications. Energy, 2015, vol. 86, pp. 152–163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.03.128
- Zhukov A.V., Sidorov D.N., Foley A.M. Random forest based approach for concept drift handling. International Conference on Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts, Springer, 2016, pp. 69–77. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-52920-2_7